Sunday, March 27, 2011

Strawberry Jelly

 This recipe is easy, and how great would it be to have jelly in the fridge that you made instead of some jar filled with high fructose corn syrup ( don't get me started on those ridiculous hfcs commercials that the government is funding) among the other crappy ingredients they shove in there, with fruit being one of the last ingredients. Sorry was I ranting? Lets get back to the jelly. The hardest part of this recipe is chopping up your chosen fruit (strawberry is the fellas favorite), throw it in a pot with sugar and water enjoy the latest episode of the Jersey Shore or any other guilty pleasure you chose to immerse yourself in for 45 minutes to an hour. Lets keep in mind here that I am not canning. This jelly is meant to be used up right away.





Dice up your fruit nice and small

Add your fruit to the pot with sugar and water. Its not an exact recipe just a ratio. I'd say I had about 2 cups of strawberries. So, I added 1 cup of sugar and about 3 cups of water. 

 Bring it up to a low boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it go for about an hour or until it looks like this. 
I dont like chunky jelly so I pulled out the handy dandy immersion blender and pulsed it into a smooth and tasty puree. 

Grab yourself a funnel and pour your mixture into a cute jar.  

Just let it cool down before you seal the lid. And there you have it. Strawberry jelly is easy as pie. Actually its  easier than pie. I hope you give it a try, enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Usually I add few lemon drops before cooking. It gives more flavour and preserves strawberries freshness. Try it!
    xxo Francesca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very true. Lemon would have been a good idea here. I've done it before it does really bump up the flavor. I don't think I had lemons this go round though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete