Sunday, January 30, 2011

Back Peddling with Cauliflower

Yes its cauliflower
Ok so I am feeling bad about the cake. The fella is on a strict diet to make weight for work. So, he definitely isn't eating any of the cake which means I ate his portion for him. This is usually the case when he has to go on diets like this. I pick up his slack in the eating category. Alas, there is always cauliflower and a Mark Bittman recipe to help you back peddle into your Seven jeans. 
In Bittman's book How to Cook Everything he has a lovely recipe, cauliflower roman style. Its simple, its delicious, and totally satisfying. I'll be the first to admit cauliflower is not on my food shopping radar, and certainly not my go to vegetable for dinner. And I would really rather not eat it raw. I just feel better about eating green veggies. That being said this is really good (and good for you) and you all should give it a try. 
1 head cauliflower cut into florets
2 tablespoons chopped parsley 
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 a lemon
Makes 4 servings
In a sauté pan heat up the olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes

Cut up the cauliflower into florets

Chop up some parsley and half a lemon 

After steaming the cauliflower add it to the oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Add the lemon juice and top it off with the parsley. 

Give it a stir to make sure every little bit is coated with flavor

Grab a fork and dig in .
This could be used as a side dish or just eaten alone, either way it is incredibly filling. Which is great (no room for dessert). The simple flavor of just the cauliflower and olive oil is absolutely delicious God, I love olive oil! I have also noticed that when it comes to all the entries I've posted it would seem that I am a vegetarian, which is the furthest thing from the truth. Where is the meat? So, for dinner tonight I am making roasted chicken, and I will have that little meat baby posted in two shakes of a lambs tail!

2 comments:

  1. Love the words, love the pictures....it's incredible! really, i love it!
    Please transform all of this one day in a book?! I want to buy it...now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guido! I'm trying! Thats part of the plan one day to have a cook book and a slue of restaurants, and my own brand for foods that I make. Hopefully, one day....and you'll be the first to buy my book. Just like you were the first to read this blog!

    ReplyDelete