Friday, January 28, 2011

A Tasty Cake, From the Back of a Box

Having a broken ankle and cabin fever I am headed on a downward spiral of packing on the pounds! So why not scour the cupboard to gather the findings to make a cheap, fat filled cake. This morning I woke up with a hankering for something sweet. Unwisely, I decided to pass up the Honey Nut Cheerios and go for an entire cake. After a hunt through my supplies to see if I could whip up something quickly to satisfy my craving, I happened upon this pumpkin spice quick bread with a tasty cake recipe written on the bottom of the box. Pumpkin swirl snack cake. Boo ya! I'm in biz. Though I think it should be called pumpkin swirl fat cake. It took no time at all, one step closer to over eaters anonymous.....


Other than the contents of the box you will need:
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 water 
8oz. cream cheese 
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350



Combine bread mix, 2 eggs, water and oil mix until just combined. 


In an electric mixer comine the cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla. Mix until combined and creamy.

Place heaping spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture all over the cake. Then of course lick the beater and the bowl!


Take a knife and make big swirls in the batter 

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Its done when a toothpick comes out clean. 

And there you have it. Cut yourself a nice big slice grab a fork and settle into your extra 5 pounds.  I much prefer this Krusteaz brand over say Pillsbury mixes. Yes, the ingredient list is still long but I think they have far less crap in the mix. That is, when a craving strikes so fast you don't have the time to make it from scratch. Now I have to find somebody to give this to before I eat the whole thing myself!

2 comments:

  1. I love this brand also. The cake looks yummy - nice swirls. I have tried the lemon squares from Krusteuz - tastes just like homemade. Will have to try this one. I make that no flour/no sugar banana bread recipe with a can of pumpkin instead of the bananas (I think that I sent you the recipe) and it is yummy and healthy. Your photography is on your site is very, very profestional! And really adds interest to your site. It makes me want to make your recipes. Kathie

    ReplyDelete