Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Winter Salad.

When I was little I loved brussels sprouts. I would get home from school and devour those mini microwaveable boxes of brussels sprouts coated in butter. Though not my choice method of cooking them now, I still love them and would probably eat them everyday if I could get my picky fella to jump on the bandwagon. So, flipping through Food and Wine magazine I found "The Purist Salad" roasted brussels sprouts with cabbage and pine nuts. I gave it a try with a few substitutions and omissions. I had most things on hand except for Dijon mustard and unfortunately the pine nuts. Since I broke my ankle in october, running to the store to grab a few things isn't so easy on one foot. So I let the pine nuts slide, and substituted the dijon for spicy brown. So here we go!

1/2 cup pine nuts
1 pound brussels sprouts, quartered
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon pure chili powder, such as ancho
1 1/2 pounds red cabbage, very thinly sliced (6 cups)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 ounce Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese, thinly shaved

1. Preheat the oven to 450. Spread the pine nuts in a pie plate and toast for about 3 minutes, until golden brown. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 15 minutes, until the brussels sprouts are lightly caramelized and tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the honey, mustard, cayenne, and chili powder. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the toasted pine nuts and cranberries. In a small skillet, heat the remaining olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 1 minute. Scrape the garlic and hot oil over the cabbage. Add the brussels sprouts and toss, then add the dressing and toss again. Scatter the cheese shavings over the top and serve right away. 


 













This was a tasty change of pace from the typical salads I usually make, and the toasted garlic adds a nice depth of flavor. A nice light lunch to keep those new year resolutions in check, and you could definitely use less oil to drop the calorie count. I had it for dinner too, I think you get way more than 4 servings outta this puppy. Oh, and you all might be pleased to know that according to Food and Wine magazine, cabbage and brussels sprouts are among the top 15 fruits and vegetables with the least pesticide residue. Sounds good to me. Bring on the veggies!

1 comment:

  1. Ashley - this looks really yummy! I bet the cranberries and pine nuts really make it tasty. Will have to try this one soon. Thanks. Kathie

    ReplyDelete