Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies


It has taken me a long time to perfect my chocolate chip cookie, or to my standards perfect. By this I mean crisp on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside. When I make cookies I tend to eat quite a lot of them so, for awhile I made them with Splenda to lower the calorie count and up my consumption. Awful! Splenda does something to the cookie that makes them somewhat cake like yuck, not what I am going for. I have used recipes from countless cookbooks including The Joy of Cooking, which produced a good cookie but offered up a small batch. After much failure I have found my perfection on the back of Toll House bag of semi-sweet morsels as I'm sure you all have discovered. I use this recipe but with a few changes and techniques. Instead of the two sticks of butter I use 1cup of canola oil or, 1/2 cup canola oil and 1/2 a stick of butter. If I am trying to be extra healthy or less remorseful for eating a dozen cookies I exchange all purpose flour for whole wheat flour. Its much better for you and tastes relatively the same except for and added nuttiness and more wholesome taste, for the lack of a better word. I also found adding about 1/4 cup of golden flax seed sprinkles with the flour is absolutely delightful! You won't notice much difference in the taste of the cookie but it does wonders for the texture that I'm going for, and of course its incredibly healthful offering its omega 3 goodness. Also, especially when using the canola oil be sure to refrigerate your cookie dough in a covered bowl for at least 30 minutes. Chilled dough is a must for a good cookie.
This 1 inch scoop is great for making uniform sized cookies, which also helps them cook evenly. 

Scoop em, and drop em. 

A Silpat is a silicone mat that lies inside your sheet pan. It helps crisp the cookie, I love it. They are a bit expensive, but worth every penny.

Mmmmmmm.


Time for a taste test. If your betting I ate more than one, you are correct! Try 12, I would like to say that I'm ashamed but they are soooo good. And hey, it was wheat flour and flax......right?

These cookies are awesome you should give these tips a try. I would love to hear your tricks or tips for making the best chocolate chip cookie. Cheers, to all of us cookie monsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment