Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Caesar Dressing (A Healthy Version)

My best friend Sarah and I love Jamie Oliver. I remember lying on her bedroom floor in high school while we proclaimed how cute his accent was and how good his food looked, as he drove around on his little vespa from place to place making his recipes. I still love him today, especially this food revolution he is on. I totally support his crusade to teach Americans about good food, where this food comes from, and healthy, easy, delicious recipes. Americans eat horribly, we could use the simple wisdom this wonderful Brit has to offer.  I know the world is busy, but I think its time we take a cue from the Europeans and put down all of the gadgets we find so necessary to possess, sit down and enjoy a meal. Preferably with some people you love, and preferably at least once a day.  We can all start with a tasty and healthier version of the classic caesar salad. It takes about 15 minutes and makes enough to nicely coat 2 heads of romaine. Though the recipe calls for just one large head.
1/3 cup low-fat or nonfat Greek-style yogurt
2 anchovy fillets mashed
1 garlic clove mashed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large head of romaine lettuce torn into bite sized pieces
Here are your ingredients. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere, and this is the best parmesan cheese I can get my hands on. Oh how I long to live near a Whole Foods again. But, it did the trick.
Lemon juice, garlic, and anchovies. 


In a small bowl whisk the yogurt with the anchovies, garlic, lemon juice and worcestershire sauce. 

Whisk in the oil

And the parmesan cheese

Season with salt and pepper

In a large bowl, toss the romaine with half the dressing and the remaining cheese. Serve, passing the remaining dressing at the table.
Ok, yes, there are anchovies in this recipe. They are a main ingredient in a classic caesar dressing.  Do not omit these if you make this dressing, they are a must! And frankly, I'm sick of people saying no to anchovies like they are the most appalling thing you could ever put in your mouth. People shovel in toxic ingredients from McDonald's, and Doritos by the handful but think anchovies are gross. COME ON PEOPLE! They mostly just taste salty. If you like tuna you will like anchovies. The fella would never willingly eat an anchovy and he loved this dressing. Then I told him he what he had just eaten, and let me tell you, he survived. At least give them a try, you wont even notice them. And hey, who knows, maybe you will end up loving them.  Scarfing them down on a delicious piece of bread with Manchego cheese mmmm.  Ok, sorry for ranting guys, I get passionate about this sort of thing. Enjoy your healthy version of the classic salad, its awesome. I love you Jamie Oliver!

No comments:

Post a Comment