Friday, February 4, 2011

A Lovely Night Out in LA LA Land

A couple of years ago the fella and I were lucky enough to take a trip to Los Angeles before he had to go to Iraq. On this particular night I convinced him to go to one of the best sushi restaurants ever. I had heard this news from my best friend Gwyneth Paltrow in an email she sent me. Ok, I don't really know Gwyneth and the email was just her most recent newsletter from her website GOOP. But, for those of you who know me, know that I wish Gwyneth was my bff and that in my mind we are on a first name basis, and I will absolutely eat anywhere she suggests. Even if I have to travel across the country to go to said restaurant.  Below is the documentation of some of the best sushi I have ever had thank you Gwyneth for suggesting the place. Love you BFF! (just kidding, not really.) 
The fella and me during the 60 minute wait to get inside Katsu-Ya. Little did we know a few minutes later Dax Shepard would show up! Even the famous people have to wait ( sitting next to me!) We got a seat at the sushi bar right next to Dax, the fella chatted him up all through dinner! Oh the magic of L.A.  p.s. not my best photograph. 

You would never think that sushi heaven would be located in the corner of a strip mall.  But, this heaven does exist  and those delectable sushi bites are waiting. 

Mmmmm, edamame and the perfect sushi accompaniment Kirin Ichiban beer. 

And here it is, the dish Gwyneth says is worth traveling to L.A. for , spicy tuna on crispy rice! She was right! Don't think my opinion is biased because I love her. This was one of the most spectacular things I have ever eaten. At a time like this  I was glad the fella won't eat sushi because I got to eat every delicious morsel. 

The magic makers in action!


Here you have the spicy tuna roll its something I always order.  No,  I didn't get enough of it on top of the crispy rice. It was awesome. And that little gem on the left I ordered for the fella, it was cooked shrimp and rice wrapped in egg skin (I didn't tell him that part, even though he loves eggs.) It was his first taste of sushi I'm glad it was at such an unbelievable place because he might never try it again. I think it was the thrill of being on vacation because, in fact, he has never tried sushi again. But, I love him for trying. I'm hoping to break the resistance! 

Some people might disagree with its beginner status and boring simplicity but, I always order it as my sort of palate cleanser, like ginger. Yes, it isn't adventurous but the california roll is the bite I take in between my spicy tuna roll and whatever new roll I decide to try. Call it boring or plain. Or call me lame, the california roll, for me, always gets a lead scribble mark on the sushi order worksheet.

2 comments: